Max Verstappen won the United States Grand Prix from Land Norris on Sunday, but was pushed to the end in an unusually tight race for this 2023 season.
A hard fought race saw teams challenging each other from the pit wall as much as on the track, with strategies key as teams decided between one and two-stop strategies.
Hamilton pitted later than his rivals and fitted the faster medium tyre compared to Lando Norris and Verstappen's hard compounds, and the three of them pulled away from the rest of the pack after their final stops. However, Hamilton and Charles Leclerc were later disqualified after falling foul of regulations.
The Ferrari of Carlos Sainz ended up challenging Norris for what eventually became second spot, but just about held the the Spaniard off despite his McLaren eating up its tyres before the chequered flag.
READ MORE: F1 Driver Salaries: How much do Hamilton, Verstappen and co earn?
US Grand Prix 2023 results
The final classification from the Austin circuit was as follows:
1. Max Verstappen (Red Bull)
2. Lando Norris (McLaren): +10.730s
3. Carlos Sainz (Ferrari): +15.134s
4. Sergio Perez (Red Bull): +18.460s
5. George Russell (Mercedes): +24.999s
6. Pierre Gasly (Alpine): +47.996s
7. Lance Stroll (Aston Martin): +48.696s
8. Yuki Tsunoda (AlphaTauri): +1:14.385s
9. Alex Albon (Williams): +1:26.714s (including 5-second penalty)
10. Logan Sargeant (Williams): +1:27.998s
11. Nico Hulkenberg (Haas): +1:29.904s
12. Valtteri Bottas (Alfa Romeo): +1:38.601s
13. Zhou Guanyu (Alfa Romeo): +1lap
14. Kevin Magnussen (Haas): +1lap
15. Daniel Ricciardo (AlphaTauri): +1lap
16. Fernando Alonso (Aston Martin): DNF
17. Oscar Piastri (McLaren): DNF
18. Esteban Ocon (Alpine): DNF
Lewis Hamilton and Charles Leclerc disqualified
Yuki Tsunoda (AlphaTauri): 1:38.139
READ MORE: F1 On TV: Meet the Sky Sports and Channel 4 Commentators