Verstappen refuses to address speculation despite attack on media accuracy

Change your timezone:
Verstappen refuses to address speculation despite attack on media accuracy
The Dutchman reacted furiously to criticism over his conduct in Brazil
Max Verstappen has refused to be drawn on speculation his disobeying of team orders in Brazil was down to Sergio Perez allegedly deliberately crashing during Monaco Grand Prix qualifying.
The Dutchman was asked by Red Bull to pull aside and allow Perez to move into sixth to aid his battle against Ferrari's Charles Leclerc for second in the drivers' championship.
The denial could yet wound the team's chances of securing its first championship one-two in its history.
Verstappen launched into a furious outburst against the media ahead of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and highlighted a lack of knowledge of the situation on numerous occasions during his attack.
But when pushed for the facts in order to help his own case, Verstappen replied: "I am not going to go into detail what that was because it will stay between myself and the team.
"It is incredibly disappointing that when not knowing the full facts, people are writing so many bad things straight away.
"I don't know why that is but at the end of the day, you contribute to all the problems social media has by writing these kinds of things so like I said before, it is incredibly disappointing to read these kinds of things.
"I know and the team knows how I work with them. I have always been good to the team."
Verstappen cites "miscommunication"
Verstappen was asked further for the reasoning behind his refusal, given the championship is already his and sixth place is not a highlighted position.
"It wasn't about the position," insisted the two-time champion. "It doesn't matter whether it was about first or second or sixth or 10th.
"It was about something earlier in the season and I already explained that in Mexico and the team understood and agreed.
"We went to Brazil and thought we were just going to race and get the best possible result and we had a bit of miscommunication. On Saturday and Sunday, nothing had been said to me about a potential swap.
"It only came into the last lap that it was said on the radio and they should have known my response from what I said the week before.
"After the race, we had some good discussions, put everything on the table and everything has been solved.
"In hindsight, we should have had that conversation earlier.
"I have never been a bad team-mate to anyone. I have always been helpful and the team knows that.
"I have always put the team upfront because at the end of the day, it is a team effort so what we learned from that is we have to be open and communicate better to each other."
Related
More F1 news
Latest F1 news
Recommended by the editors
F1 Silly Season
F1 Silly Season: Max Verstappen, McLaren and every driver move tracked
F1 2027 grid: The 13 seats still open as another star confirms new deal
Lewis Hamilton
'He seems so at peace': Kim Kardashian drops stunning photos of Lewis Hamilton Hawaii holiday
George Russell
Carmen Mundt is not just George Russell's fiancee: 'I don't have to prove anything'

Change your timezone:
Latest News
F1 Monaco Grand Prix result could be changed AGAIN as FIA announce new hearing
- 1 hour ago
Hamilton 'at peace' with Kim Kardashian, Verstappen gets baby Lily 'up to speed': F1 News Recap
- 2 hours ago
Cadillac F1 team dealing with another high-profile exit days after Lowdon sacking
- 3 hours ago
Verstappen mega offer, big Sainz deal close, Alonso crunch time - F1 Transfer Roundup
- Yesterday 20:45
Max Verstappen gets baby daughter Lily 'up to speed' in adorable F1 summer break update
- Yesterday 19:45
F1 Silly Season: Max Verstappen, McLaren and every driver move tracked
- Yesterday 19:30
Most read
Danica Patrick and the new American team granted entry to join F1
- 3 august
Carlos Sainz signs for Audi and four other F1 silly season moves
- 6 august
Lewis Hamilton hits gold with $9bn valuation as team boss triggers record sale: F1 News Recap
- 15 august
Christian Horner and the dream plan to make Williams F1 winners again
- 8 august
F1 team owner in record $12.5bn sale
- 13 august
'What a horror!' - Pictures of new F1 track emerge and fans are not impressed
- 15 august
Related news
Max Verstappen offers rare family insight as F1 priorities shift
Is Max Verstappen secretly British? Shock verdict delivered on F1 world champion
Max Verstappen issues update on his daughter's F1 paddock debut
Max Verstappen and Kelly Piquet eye up huge investment
F1 Standings
Drivers
- Lewis Hamilton
- Charles Leclerc
- Lando Norris
- Oscar Piastri
- Franco Colapinto
- Pierre Gasly
- Isack Hadjar
- Max Verstappen
- Alexander Albon
- Carlos Sainz
- Kimi Antonelli
- George Russell
- Oliver Bearman
- Esteban Ocon
- Fernando Alonso
- Lance Stroll
- Liam Lawson
- Arvid Lindblad
- Gabriel Bortoleto
- Nico Hülkenberg
- Valtteri Bottas
- Sergio Pérez
Races
-
Grand Prix of Australia 2026
-
Grand Prix of China 2026
-
Grand Prix of Japan 2026
-
Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2026
-
Miami Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix du Canada 2026
-
Grand Prix De Monaco 2026
-
Gran Premio de Barcelona-Catalunya 2026
-
Grand Prix of Austria 2026
-
Grand Prix of Great Britain 2026
-
Grand Prix of Belgium 2026
-
Grand Prix of Hungary 2026
-
Dutch Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Italy 2026
-
Gran Premio de España 2026
-
Grand Prix of Azerbaijan 2026
-
Grand Prix of Bahrain 2026
-
Grand Prix of Singapore 2026
-
Grand Prix of the United States 2026
-
Gran Premio de la Ciudad de Mexico 2026
-
Grande Prêmio de São Paulo 2026
-
Las Vegas Grand Prix 2026
-
Qatar Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi 2026
Follow us on your favorite social media channel
Editorial & corporate information
Avenue HQ
10–12 East Parade
Leeds
LS1 2BH
United Kingdom Regional correspondence
View contact page
Realtimes Network
- Authors
- Privacy and Terms
- RSS
- Contact
- Advertise
- Android
- iOS
- Publishing principles
- Corrections policy
- Ownership & funding
- F1 Tickets
- Privacy
Copyright (©) 2017 - 2026 GPFans.com
Realtimes Network












