Lewis Hamilton has been given a two-race exemption to comply with the FIA's ban on jewellery, GPFans can confirm.
Seven-time F1 champion Hamilton took to the Miami International Autodrome for the first practice session for the inaugural Miami Grand Prix having removed as many of his piercings as physically possible.
Hamilton, however, has proven he is unable to remove at least a nose stud, resulting in the FIA allowing him until the Monaco Grand Prix to fully comply with the rules.
There has been a rumbling feud this season regarding jewellery and underwear since the FIA bizarrely chose to enforce the regulations on the grounds of safety.
On Friday morning in the drivers' press conference, Hamilton said he had tried to speak to FIA president Mohammed Ben Sulayem over the matter but had no reply.
At the time he said: “I am willing to sign a waiver to take the responsibility away from them in that respect if I need to.”
Hamilton exempt until Monaco
The exemption that will be given to Hamilton comes following discussions with the FIA in the short three-hour period between when he appeared in the press conference and the FP1.
As for the remaining piercings, this could prove a challenge for the British driver, who contested the sense of a ban and had earlier stated: “I can’t remove at least two of them, one I can't really explain where it is.
"It is platinum that I have so it is non-magnetic, it has never been a safety issue in the past and in 16 years, I have had so many MRI scans and not had to take the platinum out because it has not been an issue.”
The other ‘unremovable’ item is Hamilton’s nose stud and it remains to be seen if the former champion can now find a solution.