F1 race at Imola could be hit by weather chaos after Emilia-Romagna flood tragedy

Change your timezone:
F1 race at Imola could be hit by weather chaos after Emilia-Romagna flood tragedy
The region in northern Italy was hit by severe weather, leaving two people dead and forcing evacuations
The Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola is expected to go ahead as planned despite severe storms and flooding hitting the area last week.
A day and a half of nonstop, torrential rain caused riverbeds to overflow in the region in northern Italy, resulting in landslides. As a result, at least two people were killed and hundreds more were hurriedly evacuated from their homes.
The fire and rescue department confirmed they had assisted 400 people during the storms, while 250 others were removed from the areas tragically struck.
AlphaTauri, whose base is located in Faenza, a city also battered by the devastating storm, released a statement in the lead-up to the Miami Grand Prix to express their support for those affected, including their own staff members.
Unsurprisingly, the extent of the disruption raised concerns over the upcoming race at Imola. The track is located 40km from nearby Bologna but appears to have escaped any lasting damage, with officials confident that the event will proceed.
READ MORE: Wolff delivers 'glass half-empty' WARNING on Mercedes upgrades
Firefighters carrying out rescue operations as flash floods hit Italy's Emilia Romagna@VigiliDelFuoco #Floods #Storm #Italy #EmiliaRomagna #Bologna #Ravenna #ForlìCesena #Flooding #Viral #Weather #Climate #CastelBolognese #Fontanelice #MassaLombarda pic.twitter.com/AFJymnPGfa
— Earth42morrow (@Earth42morrow) May 3, 2023
"We confirm that, at the moment, the storms that hit our region this week haven’t caused any disruption to our track and to the event,” a spokesperson told PlanetF1.com last week.
More rain likely next week
A warning has been issued for more potential flooding over the coming days, however. Following the initial state of emergency, an alert is in place for the hills and plains near Bologna, Ravenna and Fori, an official told the ANSA agency.
The red alert will be in effect from Wednesday until Thursday, although the rain is expected to have eased as the week progresses.

There may yet be another twist, though. According to the latest weather forecasts, qualifying on Saturday afternoon may be hit by fresh rainfall and a potential storm.
The grand prix at Imola was first introduced during the 2020 season, a campaign affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, and has since remained on the calendar.
Red Bull's Max Verstappen clinched victory in the most recent edition, beating team-mate Sergio Perez and McLaren racer Lando Norris to the chequered flag.
READ MORE: Piastri set for McLaren Imola test
Related
More F1 news
Latest F1 news
Recommended by the editors
Aston Martin
Honda plan to roll out Aston Martin speed boost at Canadian Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton
F1 legend Lewis Hamilton in 'unique' Le Mans announcement
F1 News Today
F1 News Today: Danica Patrick set for TV return, Martin Brundle reveals Sky backlash
F1 Legends
Martin Brundle reveals backlash for Sky Sports F1 career decision

Change your timezone:
Latest News
Honda plan to roll out Aston Martin speed boost at Canadian Grand Prix
- 22 minutes ago
F1 legend Lewis Hamilton in 'unique' Le Mans announcement
- 1 hour ago
F1 News Today: Danica Patrick set for TV return, Martin Brundle reveals Sky backlash
- 2 hours ago
Martin Brundle reveals backlash for Sky Sports F1 career decision
- Yesterday 22:55
Max Verstappen's team-mate reveals F1 champion wanted to 'fight with everyone' at Nurburgring 24 Hours
- Yesterday 21:56
Former Sky F1 pundit Danica Patrick set to make TV return
- Yesterday 20:57
Most read
Lewis Hamilton donates personalised Mercedes to Silverstone that belonged to his dog Roscoe
- 11 may
FIA president welcomes Christian Horner return to F1
- 4 may
Lewis Hamilton given F1 marching orders: 'It's time'
- 16 may
F1 News Today: Christian Horner return welcomed as Newey builds Red Bull rocket ship
- 5 may
Max Verstappen Nurburgring 24 Hours: Race results and final times
- 17 may
Nurburgring 24 Hours: Watch the finish LIVE as Max Verstappen team suffer major problem
- 17 may
Related news
Mercedes F1 star shunned by rival in extraordinary banana exchange
Jack Doohan slams FAKE Colapinto news amid family abuse
Ferrari star makes 'playing with the rules' admission at Imola Grand Prix
FIA release statement on shocking F1 driver abuse
F1 Standings
Drivers
- Lewis Hamilton
- Charles Leclerc
- Lando Norris
- Oscar Piastri
- Franco Colapinto
- Pierre Gasly
- Isack Hadjar
- Max Verstappen
- Alexander Albon
- Carlos Sainz
- Andrea Kimi Antonelli
- George Russell
- Oliver Bearman
- Esteban Ocon
- Fernando Alonso
- Lance Stroll
- Liam Lawson
- Arvid Lindblad
- Gabriel Bortoleto
- Nico Hülkenberg
- Valtteri Bottas
- Sergio Pérez
Races
-
Grand Prix of Australia 2026
-
Grand Prix of China 2026
-
Grand Prix of Japan 2026
-
Grand Prix of Bahrain 2026
-
Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2026
-
Miami Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix du Canada 2026
-
Grand Prix De Monaco 2026
-
Gran Premio de Barcelona-Catalunya 2026
-
Grand Prix of Austria 2026
-
Grand Prix of Great Britain 2026
-
Grand Prix of Belgium 2026
-
Grand Prix of Hungary 2026
-
Dutch Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Italy 2026
-
Gran Premio de España 2026
-
Grand Prix of Azerbaijan 2026
-
Grand Prix of Singapore 2026
-
Grand Prix of the United States 2026
-
Gran Premio de la Ciudad de Mexico 2026
-
Grande Prêmio de São Paulo 2026
-
Las Vegas Grand Prix 2026
-
Qatar Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi 2026
Follow us on your favorite social media channel
Editorial & corporate information
Avenue HQ
10–12 East Parade
Leeds
LS1 2BH
United Kingdom Regional correspondence
View contact page
Realtimes Network
- Authors
- Privacy and Terms
- RSS
- Contact
- Advertise
- Android
- iOS
- Publishing principles
- Corrections policy
- Ownership & funding
- F1 Tickets
- Privacy
Copyright (©) 2017 - 2026 GPFans.com
Realtimes Network












