Hamilton's Covid "not the way I envisioned" landing Mercedes drive - Russell

Change your timezone:
Hamilton's Covid "not the way I envisioned" landing Mercedes drive - Russell
Russell will replace his fellow Briton for the Sakhir GP
George Russell has revealed that standing in for the Covid-hit Lewis Hamilton was not the way he imagined he would land his debut drive with Mercedes.
The team confirmed on Tuesday that recently crowned seven-time Formula 1 champion Hamilton would miss this weekend's Sakhir Grand Prix around the Outer Track of the Bahrain International Circuit.
Mercedes quickly turned to Williams to lure away Russell, a driver the German manufacturer has supported over the years via its junior development programme.
Russell now has the ideal opportunity to prove he is worthy of a permanent seat in the future, potentially as early as 2022 once his three-year deal with Williams expires at the end of next year.
Suggested to Russell this was the moment he had been waiting for, he told GPFans: "Absolutely, but this was not the way I envisioned getting this opportunity, or the way I imagined my first race with Mercedes would be.
"I've mixed feelings because with Lewis obviously having to miss it because of Covid, it is a bit of an odd feeling, but nevertheless a fantastic opportunity.
"I'm incredibly grateful for it to Williams and Mercedes. Williams was under no obligation whatsoever to give me this chance, so I'm just excited."
With two races remaining, and Williams almost certainly set to remain in 10th and last place in the constructors' championship, it was felt they could not stand in his way.
"They recognised this would be a massive opportunity for me personally, and that I would be incredibly grateful and thankful to them for it," added Russell.
"Ultimately, this opportunity will allow me to become a stronger driver, and a new opportunity, new experiences with the best team on the grid is invaluable."
Referring to the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at Imola when he was running 10th on track late on, only to crash behind the safety car and seemingly throw away a points-scoring opportunity, Russell said: "I guess they had to be realistic.
"We've given it our best shot all season, we've had some fantastic races, and even when all the stars were aligned and we had a great weekend, we were only just P10, and even then it would have been hard to hold on to P10 with the guys behind us.
"Unless we get a P8 in a race [over the last two races] then 10th is sealed in the championship so I think they wanted to support me. They knew how much I wanted this opportunity."
Related
More F1 news
Latest F1 news
Recommended by the editors
F1 2027 grid: The 12 seats still open as Carlos Sainz signs mega deal
Max Verstappen
Max Verstappen Red Bull contract 'a terrible bit of business' claims top F1 insider
FIA
FIA confirms decision on Macarena wing ban after scary Max Verstappen crashes
F1 Silly Season
F1 Silly Season: Max Verstappen, McLaren and every driver move tracked

Change your timezone:
Latest News
Cadillac break silence on F1 sale rumours amid US federal investigation into team owner
- Yesterday 21:45
Christian Horner is ready to tell all about Red Bull years as major announcement made
- Yesterday 20:45
F1 2027 grid: The 12 seats still open as Carlos Sainz signs mega deal
- Yesterday 20:19
Carlos Sainz warned he risks F1 oblivion by staying at Williams and ignoring 'no-brainer' move
- Yesterday 19:45
Max Verstappen Red Bull contract 'a terrible bit of business' claims top F1 insider
- Yesterday 18:45
Yuki Tsunoda set to fulfil 'ancient F1 prophecy' with Dutch Grand Prix return
- Yesterday 17:30
Most read
Danica Patrick and the new American team granted entry to join F1
- 3 august
Carlos Sainz signs for Audi and four other F1 silly season moves
- 6 august
Lewis Hamilton hits gold with $9bn valuation as team boss triggers record sale: F1 News Recap
- 15 august
Christian Horner and the dream plan to make Williams F1 winners again
- 8 august
F1 team owner in record $12.5bn sale
- 13 august
'What a horror!' - Pictures of new F1 track emerge and fans are not impressed
- 15 august
Related news
Mercedes share crucial date in F1 summer shutdown update
George Russell in demand as TWO teams look to pry F1 star away from Mercedes
Mercedes announce new 'team member' ahead of Hungarian Grand Prix
Russell and Antonelli summoned to Mercedes HQ for ‘emergency meeting’ ahead of Hungarian GP
F1 Standings
Drivers
- Lewis Hamilton
- Charles Leclerc
- Lando Norris
- Oscar Piastri
- Franco Colapinto
- Pierre Gasly
- Isack Hadjar
- Max Verstappen
- Alexander Albon
- Carlos Sainz
- Kimi Antonelli
- George Russell
- Oliver Bearman
- Esteban Ocon
- Fernando Alonso
- Lance Stroll
- Liam Lawson
- Arvid Lindblad
- Gabriel Bortoleto
- Nico Hülkenberg
- Valtteri Bottas
- Sergio Pérez
Races
-
Grand Prix of Australia 2026
-
Grand Prix of China 2026
-
Grand Prix of Japan 2026
-
Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2026
-
Miami Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix du Canada 2026
-
Grand Prix De Monaco 2026
-
Gran Premio de Barcelona-Catalunya 2026
-
Grand Prix of Austria 2026
-
Grand Prix of Great Britain 2026
-
Grand Prix of Belgium 2026
-
Grand Prix of Hungary 2026
-
Dutch Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Italy 2026
-
Gran Premio de España 2026
-
Grand Prix of Azerbaijan 2026
-
Grand Prix of Bahrain 2026
-
Grand Prix of Singapore 2026
-
Grand Prix of the United States 2026
-
Gran Premio de la Ciudad de Mexico 2026
-
Grande Prêmio de São Paulo 2026
-
Las Vegas Grand Prix 2026
-
Qatar Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi 2026
Follow us on your favorite social media channel
Editorial & corporate information
Avenue HQ
10–12 East Parade
Leeds
LS1 2BH
United Kingdom Regional correspondence
View contact page
Realtimes Network
- Authors
- Privacy and Terms
- RSS
- Contact
- Advertise
- Android
- iOS
- Publishing principles
- Corrections policy
- Ownership & funding
- F1 Tickets
- Privacy
Copyright (©) 2017 - 2026 GPFans.com
Realtimes Network












