FIA "well aware" of The Bend Australian GP interest

Change your timezone:
FIA "well aware" of The Bend Australian GP interest
No official approach has yet been made
South Australian circuit The Bend has confirmed the FIA is "well aware" of the venue's availability to act as a substitute for the Australian Grand Prix should Covid-19 restrictions make it impossible to run the event in Melbourne as planned.
Due to the tightened quarantine restrictions for the country, the race at Albert Park on March 19-21 is due to be postponed until later in the year.
In March last year, F1 was forced to call off the race at the 11th hour after a member of the McLaren team tested positive for coronavirus ahead of the event.
At this stage, there is no consideration to it being cancelled again, with the plan to find a slot when the coronavirus situation has eased, although there are few available weekends in what is a record-breaking 23-race calendar.
Officials at The Bend, located 65 miles outside of former grand prix venue Adelaide, have indicated they are willing to step into the breach should Melbourne continue to face difficulties, particularly as its remote location could make it easier for F1 to safely operate within the bubbles formed last year.
A spokesperson for The Bend told GPFans Global: "Our position is unchanged from 2020, meaning, yes, absolutely, we’d love to host the F1.
"We haven’t approached F1 about this and are unlikely to as it is really up to them. We work with the FIA for our regular track activities so they’re well aware of our willingness if the need arises."
Although the circuit only currently holds an FIA Grade 2 safety licence, the spokesperson added: "The Bend can be upgraded to meet FIA Grade 1 requirements fairly rapidly as we have intentionally built the circuit with this in mind."
Managing director of The Bend, Dr Sam Shahin, has made no secret of his desire to see F1 return to South Australia for the first time since Melbourne replaced Adelaide as the host venue in 1996.
In a recent interview with Auto Action, however, Shahin made clear his current interest is simply in ensuring a race does take place in the country this year.
“I am a proud South Australian, but I am a prouder Australian and I want to see the pinnacle of world motorsport come to Australia, irrespective of which city they attend,” he said.
“There is a lot of history and a lot of expertise in South Australia, and I am quite certain that should the opportunity arise we will be delighted to throw our hat in the ring.
“If it doesn’t, I will still be equally delighted and proud to attend the next Australian Formula 1 event in Melbourne.”
Related
More F1 news
Latest F1 news
Recommended by the editors
F1 Silly Season
F1 Silly Season: Max Verstappen, McLaren and every driver move tracked
F1 2027 grid: The 13 seats still open as another star confirms new deal
Lewis Hamilton
'He seems so at peace': Kim Kardashian drops stunning photos of Lewis Hamilton Hawaii holiday
George Russell
Carmen Mundt is not just George Russell's fiancee: 'I don't have to prove anything'

Change your timezone:
Latest News
Verstappen mega offer, big Sainz deal close, Alonso crunch time - F1 Transfer Roundup
- 6 minutes ago
Max Verstappen gets baby daughter Lily 'up to speed' in adorable F1 summer break update
- 1 hour ago
F1 Silly Season: Max Verstappen, McLaren and every driver move tracked
- 1 hour ago
Honda expert predicts major leap forward for Aston Martin with Alonso future hanging in the balance
- 2 hours ago
F1 team owner continues sell-off after record-breaking $12.5bn deal
- 3 hours ago
F1 2027 grid: The 13 seats still open as another star confirms new deal
- Today 15:53
Most read
Danica Patrick and the new American team granted entry to join F1
- 3 august
Carlos Sainz signs for Audi and four other F1 silly season moves
- 6 august
Lewis Hamilton hits gold with $9bn valuation as team boss triggers record sale: F1 News Recap
- 15 august
Christian Horner and the dream plan to make Williams F1 winners again
- 8 august
F1 team owner in record $12.5bn sale
- 13 august
'What a horror!' - Pictures of new F1 track emerge and fans are not impressed
- 15 august
Related news
FIA McLaren inspection confirmed as new rule announced
Lewis Hamilton encounters 'serious' problem as disqualification risk emerges
Norris’ father spotted in talks with rival F1 team boss
Jeremy Clarkson hailed for F1 heroics at Australian GP
F1 Standings
Drivers
- Lewis Hamilton
- Charles Leclerc
- Lando Norris
- Oscar Piastri
- Franco Colapinto
- Pierre Gasly
- Isack Hadjar
- Max Verstappen
- Alexander Albon
- Carlos Sainz
- Kimi Antonelli
- George Russell
- Oliver Bearman
- Esteban Ocon
- Fernando Alonso
- Lance Stroll
- Liam Lawson
- Arvid Lindblad
- Gabriel Bortoleto
- Nico Hülkenberg
- Valtteri Bottas
- Sergio Pérez
Races
-
Grand Prix of Australia 2026
-
Grand Prix of China 2026
-
Grand Prix of Japan 2026
-
Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2026
-
Miami Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix du Canada 2026
-
Grand Prix De Monaco 2026
-
Gran Premio de Barcelona-Catalunya 2026
-
Grand Prix of Austria 2026
-
Grand Prix of Great Britain 2026
-
Grand Prix of Belgium 2026
-
Grand Prix of Hungary 2026
-
Dutch Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Italy 2026
-
Gran Premio de España 2026
-
Grand Prix of Azerbaijan 2026
-
Grand Prix of Bahrain 2026
-
Grand Prix of Singapore 2026
-
Grand Prix of the United States 2026
-
Gran Premio de la Ciudad de Mexico 2026
-
Grande Prêmio de São Paulo 2026
-
Las Vegas Grand Prix 2026
-
Qatar Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi 2026
Follow us on your favorite social media channel
Editorial & corporate information
Avenue HQ
10–12 East Parade
Leeds
LS1 2BH
United Kingdom Regional correspondence
View contact page
Realtimes Network
- Authors
- Privacy and Terms
- RSS
- Contact
- Advertise
- Android
- iOS
- Publishing principles
- Corrections policy
- Ownership & funding
- F1 Tickets
- Privacy
Copyright (©) 2017 - 2026 GPFans.com
Realtimes Network












