Monday, 03 december 2018, 06:00 , by Matthew Scott
Daniel Ricciardo says Charles Leclerc's Ferrari switch had already been put in place by the time he discussed potentially replacing Kimi Raikkonen for 2019, dismissing the notion that his wage demands put the Scuderia off signing him from Red Bull.
Ricciardo will race for Renault next year, having sought a new challenge after a decade under the Red Bull umbrella.
At the start of the year he was credited as a candidate for potential roles at both Ferrari and Mercedes.
While the Silver Arrows retained Valtteri Bottas, Ferrari will make a change next year Leclerc stepping in for Ferrari after an impressive rookie campaign with Sauber.
Asked if his financial demands had put off Ferrari, Ricciardo told Automoto: "I can't say why. I don't know what you're talking about. Who said I'd asked for too much money? Evidently someone said no to my arrival.
"Who? I'd like to know, but maybe I have an idea.
"We had discussions, but you could see that they had already made arrangements with Leclerc, so my talks fell through.
"I hope for them that it's the right choice and that it works out well.
"As far as I'm concerned, I hope to still be in F1 for some time and maybe there will be an opportunity to meet again."