Welcome to GPFans

CHOOSE YOUR COUNTRY

  • NL
  • GB
  • FR
  • ES-MX
  • GB
FIA "unacceptable" driver safety dismissal criticised after Miami crashes

FIA "unacceptable" driver safety dismissal criticised after Miami crashes

FIA "unacceptable" driver safety dismissal criticised after Miami crashes

FIA "unacceptable" driver safety dismissal criticised after Miami crashes

Esteban Ocon has slated the FIA as "unacceptable" for refusing to heed calls from drivers over the safety of the Miami International Autodrome.

The Alpine driver crashed out of final practice at the technical turn 13-14 complex, hitting a concrete wall heavily with the left-hand side of his A522.

The impact cracked the chassis despite the incident being at a relatively low speed, with the subsequent chassis change consigning Ocon to the sidelines for qualifying, meaning he will start last for the inaugural Miami Grand Prix.

Addressing his practice incident, the Frenchman told Sky Sports F1: "It hurts. It was 51g. It was a hard impact but I will be fit to race tomorrow, that is the main thing.

"I lost the rear at the worst possible place on the track so I have to apologise to the team for what happened.

"It is a mistake I don't usually do. It is a while since I did one like that but what is disappointing is the chassis change really."

Ocon's crash came after an almost identical incident for Carlos Sainz on Friday and revealing talks over driver safety had been rebuked, he added: "The impact was so hard in comparison to what it should have been.

"Discussing with Carlos yesterday with the race directors, saying we should put a Tecpro barrier there and it hasn't been listened [to].

"That is not acceptable and the FIA should push harder for our safety."

Sainz "will never understand" FIA stance

Sainz's crash in FP2 gave his Ferrari team time to turn around the F1-75 in time for Saturday's proceedings.

The Spanish driver then repaid the mechanics with second on the grid alongside team-mate and polesitter Charles Leclerc.

But questioning the governing body, Sainz explained: "I am sorry to be critical but I told the FIA yesterday that my crash in second gear shouldn't feel that hard.

"But today my neck was a bit in pain and I told them 'Let's put Tecpro there because it is a very hard concrete wall'.

"Esteban crashed and I am pretty sure he felt it, too. It is one of those things that I will never understand."

Asked if he could bring it up in the drivers' briefing, Sainz replied: "I did bring it up already but no change."

Ontdek het op Google Play