Hamilton "a sitting duck" after Masi 'freestyling of the rules'

Change your timezone:
Hamilton "a sitting duck" after Masi 'freestyling of the rules'
Hamilton missed out on a record breaking eighth F1 world title in Abu Dhabi
Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has claimed FIA race director Michael Masi rendered Lewis Hamilton "a sitting duck" in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix after a "freestyle reading of the rules".
Mercedes was furious with the handling of the closing stages of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix and the controversial way in which Masi applied the F1 sporting regulations.
After initially announcing no lapped traffic would be cleared to pass the safety car, Masi changed this notification to allow only the five lapped drivers between title rivals Hamilton and Max Verstappen by.
Although the regulations dictate that the safety car will complete one further lap before returning to the pits, in this case, that would have seen the race end behind the safety car, immediately after the traffic had cleared, the restart order was given.
Mercedes quickly launched two protests, one relating to the procedure for a race restart and after these were dismissed, gave notice of intent to appeal.
Mercedes has since backed out of appealing and Wolff confirmed this was a joint decision alongside Hamilton.
“Every step on the way it was joint decisions," said Wolff. "We decided together with Lewis to protest, to launch the appeal and to withdraw the appeal.
“As you can imagine, not only for him but also for us as a team, it was terrible to be confronted with a decision that decided the outcome of the world championship.
“But none of us, neither him nor us, want to win a world championship in the courtroom.
“But on the other side, we were deeply wronged on Sunday and it wasn’t just a case of a bad call, it was freestyle reading of the rules and it left Lewis like a sitting duck."
Despite withdrawing from the appeal process, Wolff reflected it had been difficult to let go after the team had been "wronged".
“So as hard as it was to withdraw the appeal…it was tremendously hard for him and for us as a team to withdraw the appeal because we were wronged," added Wolff.
“So my soul and my heart cries with every bone that this should have been judged in the right way and the legal situation would have given us some right.
“But as I said before, this is the difference between being right and obtaining justice.”
Related
More F1 news
Latest F1 news
Recommended by the editors
Max Verstappen
Max Verstappen says he IS staying in F1 but it may not be with Red Bull
Latest F1 News
Max Verstappen's new Red Bull low sees him blaming the pedals at Canadian Grand Prix
F1 News & Gossip
Lewis Hamilton ready to snub major Ferrari assistance after Canada display
Canadian Grand Prix Sprint Qualifying
F1 Sprint Qualifying Results Today: 2026 Canadian Grand Prix times and positions

Change your timezone:
Latest News
F1 2026 Canadian Grand Prix Sprint Race starting grid with penalties applied
- 18 minutes ago
Max Verstappen says he IS staying in F1 but it may not be with Red Bull
- 41 minutes ago
F1 News Today: Lewis Hamilton Ferrari contract extension details, Daniel Ricciardo back in pitlane
- 1 hour ago
Max Verstappen's new Red Bull low sees him blaming the pedals at Canadian Grand Prix
- Today 01:50
Lewis Hamilton ready to snub major Ferrari assistance after Canada display
- Today 01:07
F1 Sprint Qualifying Results Today: 2026 Canadian Grand Prix times and positions
- Yesterday 23:42
Most read
Lewis Hamilton donates personalised Mercedes to Silverstone that belonged to his dog Roscoe
- 11 may
FIA president welcomes Christian Horner return to F1
- 4 may
Lewis Hamilton given F1 marching orders: 'It's time'
- 16 may
F1 News Today: Christian Horner return welcomed as Newey builds Red Bull rocket ship
- 5 may
Max Verstappen Nurburgring 24 Hours: Race results and final times
- 17 may
Nurburgring 24 Hours: Watch the finish LIVE as Max Verstappen team suffer major problem
- 17 may
Related news
Mercedes share crucial date in F1 summer shutdown update
George Russell in demand as TWO teams look to pry F1 star away from Mercedes
Mercedes announce new 'team member' ahead of Hungarian Grand Prix
Russell and Antonelli summoned to Mercedes HQ for ‘emergency meeting’ ahead of Hungarian GP
F1 Standings
Drivers
- Lewis Hamilton
- Charles Leclerc
- Lando Norris
- Oscar Piastri
- Franco Colapinto
- Pierre Gasly
- Isack Hadjar
- Max Verstappen
- Alexander Albon
- Carlos Sainz
- Andrea Kimi Antonelli
- George Russell
- Oliver Bearman
- Esteban Ocon
- Fernando Alonso
- Lance Stroll
- Liam Lawson
- Arvid Lindblad
- Gabriel Bortoleto
- Nico Hülkenberg
- Valtteri Bottas
- Sergio Pérez
Races
-
Grand Prix of Australia 2026
-
Grand Prix of China 2026
-
Grand Prix of Japan 2026
-
Grand Prix of Bahrain 2026
-
Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2026
-
Miami Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix du Canada 2026
-
Grand Prix De Monaco 2026
-
Gran Premio de Barcelona-Catalunya 2026
-
Grand Prix of Austria 2026
-
Grand Prix of Great Britain 2026
-
Grand Prix of Belgium 2026
-
Grand Prix of Hungary 2026
-
Dutch Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Italy 2026
-
Gran Premio de España 2026
-
Grand Prix of Azerbaijan 2026
-
Grand Prix of Singapore 2026
-
Grand Prix of the United States 2026
-
Gran Premio de la Ciudad de Mexico 2026
-
Grande Prêmio de São Paulo 2026
-
Las Vegas Grand Prix 2026
-
Qatar Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi 2026
Follow us on your favorite social media channel
Editorial & corporate information
Avenue HQ
10–12 East Parade
Leeds
LS1 2BH
United Kingdom Regional correspondence
View contact page
Realtimes Network
- Authors
- Privacy and Terms
- RSS
- Contact
- Advertise
- Android
- iOS
- Publishing principles
- Corrections policy
- Ownership & funding
- F1 Tickets
- Privacy
Copyright (©) 2017 - 2026 GPFans.com
Realtimes Network












