F1 considering alternate dates for the Chinese Grand Prix

Change your timezone:
F1 considering alternate dates for the Chinese Grand Prix
Ross Brawn says F1 is preparing for a postponement
The fate of the 2020 Chinese Grand Prix is still hanging in the balance with a postponement looking likely, but Formula One bosses are hopeful that an alternate date can be set to hold the race.
An outbreak of the Coronaviris has seen sporting and public events cancelled across China until the end of March, leading to the cancellation of the ABB Formula E Sanya ePrix among other events.
On Wednesday, the Shanghai Sporting Federation released a statement urging for the cancellation of all such events until the outbreak had been contained.
With Formula One due to be heading to Shanghai for the Chinese Grand Prix, the first on track activity due on Friday April 17, it looks increasingly likely that the race will be, at the very least, postponed.
Chinese Grand Prix and Sanya ePrix under threat after Coronavirus outbreakRead more
Speaking to Motorsport.com, Formula One managing director of motorsports and technical director Ross Brawn, said that a switch with another race is the least likely option, and it would be more likely that the sport will, "just try to find a window of when the race could happen towards the end of the year."
Realistically, the options available to the sport for a shuffling of the calendar are extremely limited. One option would be to add the Chinese Grand Prix on to the end of the year.
As with 2019, this would mean racing into December and, with the post-season testing already lined up to follow the season ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, this is the least likely option.
If swapping places with another race is out of the question, the only remaining suitable gaps in the calendar come either side of the Japanese Grand Prix. This would mean a repeat of the triple header from 2018, only this time it would be three flyaway race - a combination of Russia, China and Japan, or Japan China and the USA.
Outlining why a decision would need to be made quickly, on any postponement, Brawn added, "There's two logistical deadlines. One is when all the sea freight goes which is this week, or next week. So the things like fuel and so on go on a ship. But that's not disastrous if that shifts and has to be brought back.
"Then we get into the physically putting people over there. That's a big challenge with people going there to prepare for the race. That's a critical stage. And that will happen in two or three weeks time. I think that's the point at which really you have to say what the situation is."
Related
More F1 news
Latest F1 news
Recommended by the editors
F1 Standings
F1 Standings 2026: Latest points leaders as Lewis Hamilton title bid falters at Dutch Grand Prix
F1 Dutch Grand Prix
Amended F1 Dutch Grand Prix starting grid with all penalties applied
F1 Dutch Grand Prix
F1 2026 Dutch Grand Prix weather forecast - latest as rain falls at Zandvoort before lights out
F1 Dutch Grand Prix
F1 Results Today: Dutch Grand Prix 2026 times, finishing positions and penalties

Change your timezone:
Latest News
Max Verstappen OUT of Dutch Grand Prix as huge crash brings out red flag
- 6 minutes ago
F1 Standings 2026: Latest points leaders as Lewis Hamilton title bid falters at Dutch Grand Prix
- 52 minutes ago
Amended F1 Dutch Grand Prix starting grid with all penalties applied
- 56 minutes ago
F1 2026 Dutch Grand Prix weather forecast - latest as rain falls at Zandvoort before lights out
- 1 hour ago
F1 Results Today: Dutch Grand Prix 2026 times, finishing positions and penalties
- 1 hour ago
Why is this the last Dutch Grand Prix? F1 organisers confirm emotional KO for iconic circuit
- 1 hour ago
Most read
Danica Patrick and the new American team granted entry to join F1
- 3 august
Carlos Sainz signs for Audi and four other F1 silly season moves
- 6 august
Lewis Hamilton hits gold with $9bn valuation as team boss triggers record sale: F1 News Recap
- 15 august
Christian Horner and the dream plan to make Williams F1 winners again
- 8 august
F1 team owner in record $12.5bn sale
- 13 august
'What a horror!' - Pictures of new F1 track emerge and fans are not impressed
- 15 august
Related news
When Lewis Hamilton last won an F1 race as Ferrari megastar ends streak at Barcelona Grand Prix
F1 owners issued confirmation for $4.2BILLION MotoGP takeover
F1 owners Liberty Media report significant losses as huge sale uncertain
F1 take action after Red Bull and McLaren grand prix delay
F1 Standings
Drivers
- Lewis Hamilton
- Charles Leclerc
- Lando Norris
- Oscar Piastri
- Franco Colapinto
- Pierre Gasly
- Isack Hadjar
- Liam Lawson
- Max Verstappen
- Alexander Albon
- Carlos Sainz
- Kimi Antonelli
- George Russell
- Oliver Bearman
- Esteban Ocon
- Fernando Alonso
- Lance Stroll
- Arvid Lindblad
- Yuki Tsunoda
- Gabriel Bortoleto
- Nico Hülkenberg
- Valtteri Bottas
- Sergio Pérez
Races
-
Grand Prix of Australia 2026
-
Grand Prix of China 2026
-
Grand Prix of Japan 2026
-
Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2026
-
Miami Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix du Canada 2026
-
Grand Prix De Monaco 2026
-
Gran Premio de Barcelona-Catalunya 2026
-
Grand Prix of Austria 2026
-
Grand Prix of Great Britain 2026
-
Grand Prix of Belgium 2026
-
Grand Prix of Hungary 2026
-
Dutch Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Italy 2026
-
Gran Premio de España 2026
-
Grand Prix of Azerbaijan 2026
-
Grand Prix of Bahrain 2026
-
Grand Prix of Singapore 2026
-
Grand Prix of the United States 2026
-
Gran Premio de la Ciudad de Mexico 2026
-
Grande Prêmio de São Paulo 2026
-
Las Vegas Grand Prix 2026
-
Qatar Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi 2026
Follow us on your favorite social media channel
Editorial & corporate information
Avenue HQ
10–12 East Parade
Leeds
LS1 2BH
United Kingdom Regional correspondence
View contact page
Realtimes Network
- Authors
- Privacy and Terms
- RSS
- Contact
- Advertise
- Android
- iOS
- Publishing principles
- Corrections policy
- Ownership & funding
- F1 Tickets
- Privacy
Copyright (©) 2017 - 2026 GPFans.com
Realtimes Network












