Welcome to GPFans

CHOOSE YOUR COUNTRY

  • NL
  • GB
  • GB
Download
×
GPFans Global app
Download the app!
Everything F1 in one place!
Barrichello reveals brush with death after having tumour removed

Barrichello reveals brush with death after having tumour removed

F1 News

Barrichello reveals brush with death after having tumour removed

Barrichello reveals brush with death after having tumour removed

Formula 1 favourite Rubens Barrichello has revealed how close he came to death after a tumour was discovered in his neck earlier this year. The Brazilian says he had just a "one in seven" chance of surviving after suffering severe headaches and being rushed to hospital.

Barrichello's 326 grand prix entries is an F1 record and the veteran continues to race in Brazilian Stock Cars.

The former Ferrari, Brawn and Williams driver has already returned to the track after his brush with mortality, but described how quickly his condition had deteriorated.

"Suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my head," Barrichello told Globo.

"It seemed to be exploding, I had to fall on the ground and only after a few minutes I managed to reach my wife Silvana to ask for help.

"I immediately realised that it was a serious problem.

"Then we called a doctor we're friends with, and fortunately he immediately recognised the seriousness of the situation. I had incredible luck.

"Shortly afterwards I was already in the operating room. Later, the doctors told me that, on average, only one in seven patients recover from this problem.

"I was afraid that I would not be allowed to race again, but fortunately that's not the case."

Barrichello posted the following video from hospital in February this year.

????????gratitude????????????????????????#englishversion

A post shared by Rubens Barrichello 1??1??1?? (@rubarrichello) on Feb 1, 2018 at 8:25am PST

Comments

No comments have been posted yet.
You must be logged in to post comments.

Login
 

Write a comment

Comments (0)

No comments yet. Be the first!
Ontdek het op Google Play