close global

Welcome to GPFans

CHOOSE YOUR COUNTRY

  • NL
  • GB
  • ES-MX
  • US
  • GB
Andretti F1 engine talks PAUSED after Renault contract expires

Andretti F1 engine talks PAUSED after Renault contract expires

Andretti F1 engine talks PAUSED after Renault contract expires

Andretti F1 engine talks PAUSED after Renault contract expires

Renault have revealed that they will not resume talks over an engine deal with Andretti until they have secured a spot on the Formula 1 entry list.

The French manufacturer had a pre-contract with the American outfit to supply engines for when they first intended to enter the grid, which has since expired.

Last week’s decision by Formula 1 to deny Andretti an entry into the sport for 2025 caused a stir, with many believing that they are in a position to be competitive.

According to Autosport, Renault remains Andretti’s preferred option for a power-unit deal if they are permitted to join the grid from 2026.

READ MORE: British Grand Prix fate sealed in MASSIVE F1 announcement

Renault are without any customers since their split with Red Bull in 2018, now only making power-units for the Alpine team

Renault hesitant to make a deal before entry

Alpine team principal and vice president Bruno Famin confirmed the conditions at Alpine’s 2024 car launch.

“We had a pre-contract and after nothing happened,” he told Autosport. “But it was related to the [condition] for Andretti to have this entry. For the time being, they have no entry.

“I read, like you, what FOM said about 2028. Let's see what will be the future after that.”

Andretti released a statement in retaliation to their rejection, stating that they ‘strongly disagree’ with Formula One Management’s findings.

It means that for the next two seasons, as has been the case for the last eight years, there will only be a 10 car Formula 1 grid.

READ MORE: F1 confirm HISTORIC rule change for the 2024 season

Related

Formula 1 Alpine Renault Andretti Bruno Famin
Brundle makes F1 dig over Andretti bid failure
Latest F1 News

Brundle makes F1 dig over Andretti bid failure

  • February 25, 2024 14:57
Former F1 driver blasts 'short-sighted' decision
Latest F1 News

Former F1 driver blasts 'short-sighted' decision

  • February 22, 2024 12:57
Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Ontdek het op Google Play