McLaren voted against F1 calendar revamp

Change your timezone:
McLaren voted against F1 calendar revamp
Team cited concerns for welfare of its staff
McLaren was the only team to vote against the revised calendar for this year, GPFans Global has learned.
On Tuesday, Formula 1 announced an updated schedule for the coming campaign, with the season-opening Australian Grand Prix postponed until mid-November due to the difficulties of staging the race in March given the quarantine restrictions in the country.
The switch of the Melbourne event has resulted in F1 compressing the calendar following the August break and led to a run of three triple-headers, the standalone race in Australia before concluding the campaign with a double-header in the Middle East - a total of 12 races in 16 weeks.
The concern for the teams is the impact such a schedule will have on the health and wellbeing of all involved in the F1 circus, notably as the Russia, Singapore and Japan triple-header, followed by the newly-created trio of back-to-back races in the US, Mexico and Brazil entail roundtrips of nearly 16,000 miles before the exhausting journey to Australia.
The vast array of time zones across a few weeks is likely to have a significant effect on mind and body. A 5,000-mile Monday flight out of São Paulo, for instance, will not land back in London until Tuesday afternoon, and then just five days later, staff will then have to make the 10,500-mile journey to Melbourne.
Despite comments of concern from numerous team principals with regard to the triple-headers that took place last season and their impact on staff, nine of the 10 teams still voted in favour of the revised calendar.
When contacted to confirm its position in the vote, a McLaren spokesperson declined to comment, citing confidentiality.
GPFans Global has been made aware, however, that McLaren was alone in its opposition, citing the intensity of the schedule and concern for the welfare of its people.
Speaking at last year's Russian Grand Prix, team principal Andreas Seidl claimed there were too many negatives associated with the staging of triple-headers.
"One thing which is crystal clear from our side, which we will clearly communicate to Formula 1, is that triple-headers are not a sustainable way to go forward in Formula 1," said Seidl.
"It's very hard on our people. It's simply too long being away from home from our families, and therefore, it's definitely something we are completely against."
Seidl referenced the fact last season was "special" and that "compromises" had to be made, and that "Formula 1 did a sensational job despite the pandemic to get all the races in, protecting revenues and securing our financial income".
Haas team principal Guenther Steiner, however, has expressed support for the calendar, despite claiming it will be "challenging" and "demanding" for his staff.
Related
More F1 news
Latest F1 news
Recommended by the editors
Daniel Ricciardo
Daniel Ricciardo offered Mercedes F1 contract to drive alongside Lewis Hamilton
Racing News
Sky Sports pundit speaks out after having licence stripped
McLaren
McLaren bringing F1 monster to fight Mercedes at Canadian Grand Prix
Michael Schumacher
'Michael Schumacher made me p*** in a bucket' claims F1 champion

Change your timezone:
Latest News
Daniel Ricciardo offered Mercedes F1 contract to drive alongside Lewis Hamilton
- 33 minutes ago
Sky Sports pundit speaks out after having licence stripped
- 1 hour ago
McLaren bringing F1 monster to fight Mercedes at Canadian Grand Prix
- 2 hours ago
'Michael Schumacher made me p*** in a bucket' claims F1 champion
- 3 hours ago
Mercedes told Max Verstappen will retire at Red Bull
- Today 17:57
You've heard of the hypercar, now meet the Ferrari hyperyacht
- Today 16:55
Most read
Lewis Hamilton donates personalised Mercedes to Silverstone that belonged to his dog Roscoe
- 11 may
FIA president welcomes Christian Horner return to F1
- 4 may
Lewis Hamilton given F1 marching orders: 'It's time'
- 16 may
F1 News Today: Christian Horner return welcomed as Newey builds Red Bull rocket ship
- 5 may
Max Verstappen Nurburgring 24 Hours: Race results and final times
- 17 may
Nurburgring 24 Hours: Watch the finish LIVE as Max Verstappen team suffer major problem
- 17 may
Related news
Ricciardo VICTORY celebrated in stunning career highlight
F1 reveal remarkable 109m TV audience for Hamilton Verstappen Abu Dhabi showdown
Masi made the right decision in 'heart-pumping' finale - Grosjean
F1 battle of the team-mates
F1 Standings
Drivers
- Lewis Hamilton
- Charles Leclerc
- Lando Norris
- Oscar Piastri
- Franco Colapinto
- Pierre Gasly
- Isack Hadjar
- Max Verstappen
- Alexander Albon
- Carlos Sainz
- Andrea Kimi Antonelli
- George Russell
- Oliver Bearman
- Esteban Ocon
- Fernando Alonso
- Lance Stroll
- Liam Lawson
- Arvid Lindblad
- Gabriel Bortoleto
- Nico Hülkenberg
- Valtteri Bottas
- Sergio Pérez
Races
-
Grand Prix of Australia 2026
-
Grand Prix of China 2026
-
Grand Prix of Japan 2026
-
Grand Prix of Bahrain 2026
-
Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2026
-
Miami Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix du Canada 2026
-
Grand Prix De Monaco 2026
-
Gran Premio de Barcelona-Catalunya 2026
-
Grand Prix of Austria 2026
-
Grand Prix of Great Britain 2026
-
Grand Prix of Belgium 2026
-
Grand Prix of Hungary 2026
-
Dutch Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Italy 2026
-
Gran Premio de España 2026
-
Grand Prix of Azerbaijan 2026
-
Grand Prix of Singapore 2026
-
Grand Prix of the United States 2026
-
Gran Premio de la Ciudad de Mexico 2026
-
Grande Prêmio de São Paulo 2026
-
Las Vegas Grand Prix 2026
-
Qatar Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi 2026
Follow us on your favorite social media channel
Editorial & corporate information
Avenue HQ
10–12 East Parade
Leeds
LS1 2BH
United Kingdom Regional correspondence
View contact page
Realtimes Network
- Authors
- Privacy and Terms
- RSS
- Contact
- Advertise
- Android
- iOS
- Publishing principles
- Corrections policy
- Ownership & funding
- F1 Tickets
- Privacy
Copyright (©) 2017 - 2026 GPFans.com
Realtimes Network












