Welcome to GPFans

CHOOSE YOUR COUNTRY

  • NL
  • GB
Download
×
GPFans Global app
Download the app!
Everything F1 in one place!
FIA dismiss gravel trap clamour from F1 drivers

FIA dismiss gravel trap clamour from F1 drivers

News


0 comments

FIA dismiss gravel trap clamour from F1 drivers

FIA dismiss gravel trap clamour from F1 drivers

FIA race director and safety delegate Michael Masi has dismissed the spate of calls from a number of Formula 1 drivers for all circuits to have gravel traps.

The likes of Ferrari duo Sebastian Vettel and Charles Leclerc, along with McLaren's Carlos Sainz and Lando Norris have all recently remarked on the benefits of gravel over extensive run-off areas.

Over the course of the Belgian GP weekend, Sainz said the fear factor had been removed as gravel had been replaced by run-off areas at turns 10 and 13 at Spa-Francorchamps.

Norris, meanwhile, beached his car in the gravel during Friday practice for the Tuscan Grand Prix, and while he declared his "hate" of such traps, he also recognised they are far more challenging.

As for Vettel and Leclerc, both feel gravel rightly punishes a driver for making a mistake, with the four-time F1 champion suggesting a potential mix of gravel initially to catch the error, followed by run-off should a driver lose control.

While Masi recognises their remarks, he replied: "We can't have them everywhere.

"It's not a one-size-fits-all. As I've said multiple times, we need to come up with the appropriate solutions with each of the circuit owners and operators.

"We'll continue working through that. We've already discussed it with the drivers. So I think it's a bit much to ask. It's not the solution everywhere, let's put it that way."

Before you go...

1000th GP points gave Ferrari an "extra boost" in season of struggle

Comments

There are no comments yet.

More F1 News

Ontdek het op Google Play