Welcome to GPFans

CHOOSE YOUR COUNTRY

  • NL
  • GB
Download
×
GPFans Global app
Download the app!
Everything F1 in one place!
USGP cancellation "painful" say organisers

USGP cancellation "painful" say organisers

News


1 comment

USGP cancellation "painful" say organisers

USGP cancellation "painful" say organisers

United States Grand Prix circuit boss Bobby Epstein has declared it "painful" to cancel this year's Formula 1 race.

On Friday, F1 announced that for Covid-19 reasons it had been forced to cancel all four planned races in the Americas, replacing them with events at the Nürburgring, Portimão and Imola.

Via a statement, F1 declared that: "After ongoing discussions and close collaboration with our partners we can also confirm that due to the fluid nature of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, local restrictions and the importance of keeping communities and our colleagues safe, it will not be possible to race in Brazil, USA, Mexico and Canada this season."

In response, Circuit of the Americas CEO Bobby Epstein said: "The cancellation is prudent but painful.

"After a sold-out 2019, advance ticket sales deposits were up nearly 250 per cent over the prior year, and our staff was preparing our biggest event ever.

You may also like..

"I'm disappointed for the fans, COTA employees, our community, and everyone in the Formula One paddock, as I believe we all look forward to what has become a wonderful annual tradition.

"It is my hope that the pandemic will soon pass and we will celebrate 2021 with the greatest Formula One United States Grand Prix ever!"

Canadian GP officials, who had postponed their original race date in mid-June, had held out hope of an October date, however, travel restrictions remain in force that has led to its cancellation.

Canadian GP president Francois Dumontier said: "Though it is disappointing and difficult for us to face this conclusion it is a decision we must accept.

"The health and safety of our employees, volunteers, partners, and of our faithful fans are and always will be our top priority."

Up until recently, Mexico City GP organisers were still selling tickets.

A statement on the race website stated that: "Given the current situation, together with the Government of Mexico City, Formula 1 and FIA, as promoters of the event - Inter-American Entertainment Corporation (CIE), we agree that, for reasons of force majeure beyond the organisers, the Grand Prix of Mexico City scheduled for 2020, will be postponed to be held in 2021 according to the official schedule that Formula 1 establishes.

"We are committed to doing everything necessary to ensure the safest experience for all attendees, including our fans, business partners, collaborators, the media, volunteers and participants.

"We are confident that this decision will allow us to continue offering you the best sports experience in the world. In the meantime, we continue to work to welcome you in 2021 and together celebrate our F1ESTA."

Before you go...

Russell "100 per cent" in same class as Williams champions Mansell, Hill, Jones

Gasly targeting second bite of the Red Bull cherry

Before you go..

Comments (1)

Mike

Did any relley

0 0  Reply

Mon 30 Nov

Sun 29 Nov

Ontdek het op Google Play