Wednesday, 05 december 2018, 08:22 , by Matthew Scott
Fernando Alonso's Indianapolis 500 bid will be powered by Chevrolet in 2019, with McLaren switching providers after the Spaniard's previous effort came with a Honda engine on-board. Alonso's attempts to return to the Brickyard next year were reportedly threatened by Honda's refusal to supply him with an engine.
The Japanese marque's hesitance to work with Alonso was based in his lambasting of their Formula 1 power units as McLaren and Honda's reunion fell flat, while the Spaniard's WEC commitments with Toyota also put Honda off.
However, with McLaren entering their own team in Indy next year, they will do so in partnership with Chevrolet, who powered this year's winner Will Power.
Alonso said: "Having Chevrolet power behind me means we're putting ourselves in the best possible position to compete at the front.
"I had a bit of a taste of Chevy power last week in Jimmie Johnson's NASCAR and I liked it!
"The opportunity to contest any Indy 500 is an honour, so I'm proud to have Chevrolet as part of the team."
McLaren were previously powered by Chevrolet in their Can-Am Series efforts in the 1960's and 1970's – the duo combining for a 23-race winning run between 1968-70.
"McLaren and Chevrolet have a shared pedigree in North American motorsport and the opportunity to reunite the two brands for this special event was just too good to pass up," said McLaren chief Zak Brown.
"Like McLaren, Chevrolet has racing in its heart. The company's reputation in IndyCar and at this special race is first-class and they will be a powerful partner."