Welcome to GPFans

CHOOSE YOUR COUNTRY

  • NL
  • GB
  • FR
  • ES-MX
  • GB
BREAKING: McLaren win battle for Piastri

BREAKING: McLaren win battle for Piastri

BREAKING: McLaren win battle for Piastri

BREAKING: McLaren win battle for Piastri

McLaren has won its fight with Alpine for the services of Oscar Piastri for the 2023 F1 season.

The Contract Recognition Board had convened on Monday to hear the arguments of both teams in the battle for the 21-year-old's signature.

After a four-day wait, the CRB has determined the contract Piastri signed with McLaren to be the most legally binding, leaving last year's F2 champion now clear to race in F1 next year.

A CRB statement read: "A tribunal appointed by the Contract Recognition Board held a meeting on 29 August 2022 when counsel for Alpine Racing Limited, McLaren Racing Limited and Mr Oscar Piastri were heard.

"The tribunal has issued a unanimous decision that the only contract to be recognised by the Board is the contract between McLaren Racing Limited and Mr Piastri dated 4 July 2022.

"Mr Piastri is entitled to drive for McLaren Racing Limited for the 2023 and 2024 seasons."

Piastri to push McLaren "to the front"

Piastri will now partner Lando Norris at McLaren for 2023, replacing Daniel Ricciardo whose contract was recently terminated by the team a year ahead of schedule.

A delighted Piastri said: “I’m extremely excited to be making my F1 debut with such a prestigious team as McLaren and I’m very grateful for the opportunity that’s been offered to me.

"The team has a long tradition of giving young talent a chance, and I’m looking forward to working hard alongside Lando to push the team towards the front of the grid.

'I’m focused on preparing for my F1 debut in 2023 and starting my F1 career in papaya.”

Team principal Andreas Seidl added: “The entire team is delighted to welcome Oscar to McLaren for the 2023 F1 season.

"He has an impressive racing career to date, and we are sure that together with Lando, he will be able to help us move another step forward towards our ambitions.

"We still have an important job to do this season which the team remains focused on, before we will then ensure Oscar is integrated into the team as quickly as possible and ready for the challenges ahead.

"We look forward to preparing for an exciting 2023 season together.”

McLaren young line-up exciting

Extolling Piastri to be "one of the up-and-coming talents", CEO Zak Brown said: "Winning both F3 and F2 in successive rookie seasons is a real achievement and testament to his talent in single-seater racing.

"In Lando and Oscar, we have a young, exciting F1 line-up with a huge amount of potential, standing us in good stead to achieve our future ambitions.

"Oscar is an exciting addition to the McLaren family, and we look forward to seeing him grow with our F1 team.”

Alpine's statement was naturally short and to the point.

It read: "BWT Alpine F1 Team thanks the Contract Recognition Board for convening on Monday and we acknowledge the decision they have made.

"We consider the matter closed on our side and will announce our full 2023 driver line-up in due course.

"Our immediate focus is the Dutch Grand Prix and securing points in our fight for fourth in the constructors’ championship."

Footnote: The CRB consists of four people, each having a different nationality, and four alternate members, all of whom are qualified lawyers of international standing and with suitable experience in contract law.

The members of the tribunal on this occasion were Ian Hunter QC, presiding, Professor Klaus Peter Berger, Matthieu de Boisseson and Stefano Azzali.

Ontdek het op Google Play