Romain Grosjean has confirmed he is to make the switch to IndyCar this season as he restarts his motor-racing career following his horrific crash in last year's Formula 1 Bahrain Grand Prix.
Grosjean is to drive in all 13 of the road and street course races on the NTT IndyCar calendar, but will not compete on the ovals of the Texas and Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It is understood the oval event at Gateway is under consideration.
The 34-year-old Frenchman, who miraculously survived a fireball crash in Bahrain at the end of November while competing for Haas, will drive for the Dale Coyne Racing with Rick Ware Racing entry in a Honda 2.2-liter twin-turbo V6.
Grosjean, who has made a superb recovery from the injuries sustained in his crash, notably the burns to his left hand, said: “I’m very excited for this opportunity to race in the United States in the NTT IndyCar Series.
“I had different options in front of me for this coming season and choosing to go IndyCar racing was definitively my favourite one.
"Although I’m not ready yet to take on the ovals, IndyCar has a much more level playing field than what I have been used to in my career so far. It will be exciting to challenge for podiums and wins again."
With regard to his injuries, Grosjean added: "My left hand is still healing, but we are just about ready to get back into the race car and to start this next chapter of my career.”
Grosjean's first taste of IndyCar will be in a test on February 22 at Barber Motorsports Park.
Ware, whose entry with Coyne represents a new partnership, is delighted to have Grosjean on board given his experience over the years, including 179 F1 starts.
“We’re thrilled to be entering our first full season of NTT IndyCar Series racing with Dale Coyne Racing, and to have a driver of the calibre of Romain Grosjean to run the street and road courses makes it that much more exciting for us.," said Ware.
GPFans is a multi-platform, multi-language brand dedicated to Formula One coverage. We bring you all the ins and outs of the sport, 24/7, everything from up-to-the-minute news and features to the latest viral stories and clips.
We believe that a new generation of exciting, outspoken drivers will make F1 more popular than ever before, and we want to give our users access to as much of their heroes as possible, on and off the track. From Lewis Hamilton to Max Verstappen, Daniel Ricciardo to Sebastian Vettel, we provide in-depth analysis of every every Grand Prix in the season, from Australia to Abu Dhabi.
With Formula One under the new ownership of Liberty Media, how the sport is being covered is evolving, and GPFans will look to be at the heart of this progression into new media, as one of the fastest-growing sites covering the king of motorsports.