Helmut Marko says he is not sure where Sebastian Vettel’s future lies, but it will not be with Red Bull as they are currently focusing on Max Verstappen, Alexander Albon, Pierre Gasly, and Daniil Kvyat.
Vettel has had a torrid season so far in 2019 and is currently fifth in the drivers’ championship after being overtaken by team-mate Charles Leclerc after the Monegasque driver won Ferrari’s home Grand Prix at Monza on Sunday.
Not only has the German not won a race in over a year, but the event in Italy was arguably a new low for him as he received a time penalty for coming back on to the track in a dangerous manner, forcing Lance Stroll to quickly dodge out of the way, subsequently putting Gasly in danger, too.
It was viewed as an offence more becoming of a rookie driver than a four-time world champion, and Vettel has since been heavily criticised for his performance.
All four of his titles came in a successful period with Red Bull, but team advisor Marko has played down the chance of a reunion if Vettel were to leave Ferrari.
"I have no idea what Vettel's future is," he insisted to Speed Week.
"We had some wonderful years together, but we have our four drivers.”
Vettel explains Stroll collisionRead more
Vettel may be struggling for form, but he has received support from Ferrari CEO Louis Camilleri who was in attendance at Monza at the weekend.
"I don't like that people are trying to write him off,” the Scuderia boss told Sky Sports Italia.
"He's a great driver and I fully trust that he will return to the top again. We just have to make sure his mood comes back up."