Wednesday, 07 november 2018, 03:37 , by Matthew Scott
Formula 1 has confirmed a "multi-year" deal has been reached that will see the Vietname Grand Prix join the calendar from 2020. A street race in Hanoi will host F1 from 2020, returning a fourth race to Asia after Malaysia dropped off the schedule at the end of 2017.
F1's statement said the Vietnam GP "will begin as a thrilling street race in the heart of the city" as Liberty Media celebrates a first new race deal under its stewardship – although the agreement is understood to have been put in place by Bernie Ecclestone.
A 22-turn circuit was revealed as part of the announcement, taking inspiration from the Nurburgring and Suzuka.
An announcement had been expected this week after a gala was announced with a view to celebrating the race, with rumours also swelling about the prospect of another 2020 addition in the Netherlands.
"We are delighted to announce that Hanoi will host a Formula 1 Grand Prix," F1 chairman Chase Carey said.
"Since we became involved in this sport in 2017, we have talked about developing new destination cities to broaden the appeal of Formula 1 and the Vietnamese Grand Prix is a realisation of that ambition.
"We are thrilled to be here in Hanoi, one of the most exciting cities in the world right now with such a rich history and an incredible future ahead of it. This is the perfect formula for Grand Prix racing and I look forward to this becoming a real highlight of the F1 calendar.
"Our Motosport team, working in collaboration with the City of Hanoi and promoter Vingroup, has worked to enable a circuit that will not only test the drivers but also ensure that our fans enjoy the racing spectacle. We are really looking forward to seeing Formula 1 cars speeding around the streets of this fantastic city from 2020."