Thursday, 13 september 2018, 13:08 , by Matthew Scott
Stoffel Vandoorne says he is still waiting for an explanation from McLaren over their decision to drop him for the 2019 season. Vandoorne will make way for Lando Norris next year, having failed to deliver on his junior-category promise in Formula 1.
The Belgian came to F1 with a GP2 title behind him, having made an impressive points-scoring debut for McLaren when replacing an injured Fernando Alonso for the 2016 Bahrain Grand Prix.
However, after finding his feet in 2017, this season has not gone well for Vandoorne. He has been outqualified by Alonso in all 14 races to date and has not beaten his veteran team-mate on-track since last year's Malaysian Grand Prix.
It remains to be seen whether Vandoorne will remain in Formula 1, with Sauber and Toro Rosso mentioned as interested parties, but his McLaren axe is still fresh in the mind.
"Obviously it was a team's decision, and I have to respect the decision. But there hasn't been a clear explanation why," Vandoorne said.
"I think that's a question for them to see their exact strategy for the future. It would be nice to know. But I think there's not much to explain.
"There's been a lot of talks obviously, and not only in Formula 1. We are exploring some different series as well, which hopefully in the next couple of weeks I will know something more about.
"Until the Formula 1 door is closed, you've got to keep all the options open. There's some interesting projects that could become a possibility for next year, but at the moment, nothing is done - still a free agent, let's say."
Brown had talked up Vandoorne's talents, claiming that Toro Rosso should look to sign him – but that only confused the Belgian.
"I think it's a bit strange to see that coming when, you know… they've let me go!" Vandoorne said.