Vettel "lucky" after surprising Monza brake failure

Change your timezone:
Vettel "lucky" after surprising Monza brake failure
A brake line explosion is still under investigation
Sebastian Vettel has conceded to being "lucky" following his surprising brake failure during the Italian Grand Prix.
Vettel had been warned of brake issues on lap five of the race at Monza before the failure occurred on the approach into Turn One, sending him straight on through the chicane and the polystyrene blocks that serve as a makeshift deterrent.
The incident, coupled with Charles Leclerc's crash midway through the race, gave Ferrari its first double DNF on home soil since 1995.
Vettel, who has confirmed an investigation with brake supplier Brembo is still ongoing, but that for the most part the cause has been identified, recognises such an issue could have taken part on a more vulnerable part of the circuit for a driver.
"I think we have understood what went wrong," said Vettel. "The brakes got hot, especially the rear brakes, and then at some point the rear line exploded.
"We were monitoring the failure a couple of laps before, we tried to take action, to the point where the brakes failed.
"Of course, we were surprised. One thing is what we can do better in these scenarios, and the other is obviously to understand why the brakes failed, why the brakes got hot.
"As I've said, on that the investigation is still ongoing, but we have high confidence it shouldn't happen again.
"We got a bit lucky because at Monza having a brake failure is usually not what you want to have. Mine was into Turn One where there was a lot of run off, so that was fine."
Leclerc, meanwhile, has confirmed he carries no ill-effects from his accident, which saw him hurtle off the track at the Parabolica and into a tyre barrier.
Although Leclerc was given the all clear following an examination in the medical centre at the track, he required a second check up the following day, notably as he was struggling with some discomfort in his back in the immediate aftermath of the crash.
"I'm feeling okay," said Leclerc. "I did some further medical checks on Monday, but everything is okay. I had some back pain after the crash, but already from Monday I was perfectly fine."
Before you go...
Hamilton believes Mugello will serve up "shock and surprise"
Haas has "close to 10" drivers on 2021 shortlist
Related
More F1 news
Latest F1 news
Recommended by the editors
Daniel Ricciardo
Daniel Ricciardo offered Mercedes F1 contract to drive alongside Lewis Hamilton
Racing News
Sky Sports pundit speaks out after having licence stripped
McLaren
McLaren bringing F1 monster to fight Mercedes at Canadian Grand Prix
Michael Schumacher
'Michael Schumacher made me p*** in a bucket' claims F1 champion

Change your timezone:
Latest News
F1 star milks a cow ahead of major race debut
- Yesterday 22:42
Daniel Ricciardo offered Mercedes F1 contract to drive alongside Lewis Hamilton
- Yesterday 21:57
Sky Sports pundit speaks out after having licence stripped
- Yesterday 20:57
McLaren bringing F1 monster to fight Mercedes at Canadian Grand Prix
- Yesterday 19:55
'Michael Schumacher made me p*** in a bucket' claims F1 champion
- Yesterday 18:57
Mercedes told Max Verstappen will retire at Red Bull
- Yesterday 17:57
Most read
Lewis Hamilton donates personalised Mercedes to Silverstone that belonged to his dog Roscoe
- 11 may
FIA president welcomes Christian Horner return to F1
- 4 may
Lewis Hamilton given F1 marching orders: 'It's time'
- 16 may
F1 News Today: Christian Horner return welcomed as Newey builds Red Bull rocket ship
- 5 may
Max Verstappen Nurburgring 24 Hours: Race results and final times
- 17 may
Nurburgring 24 Hours: Watch the finish LIVE as Max Verstappen team suffer major problem
- 17 may
Related news
F1 2025 Qualifying head-to-head: Lewis Hamilton’s Ferrari misery revealed
Why Lewis Hamilton’s Ferrari failure might be a good thing for the seven-time champion
Rising star receives Ferrari promotion for 2026
Lewis Hamilton admits he was caught out by Ferrari 'intensity'
F1 Standings
Drivers
- Lewis Hamilton
- Charles Leclerc
- Lando Norris
- Oscar Piastri
- Franco Colapinto
- Pierre Gasly
- Isack Hadjar
- Max Verstappen
- Alexander Albon
- Carlos Sainz
- Andrea Kimi Antonelli
- George Russell
- Oliver Bearman
- Esteban Ocon
- Fernando Alonso
- Lance Stroll
- Liam Lawson
- Arvid Lindblad
- Gabriel Bortoleto
- Nico Hülkenberg
- Valtteri Bottas
- Sergio Pérez
Races
-
Grand Prix of Australia 2026
-
Grand Prix of China 2026
-
Grand Prix of Japan 2026
-
Grand Prix of Bahrain 2026
-
Saudi Arabian Grand Prix 2026
-
Miami Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix du Canada 2026
-
Grand Prix De Monaco 2026
-
Gran Premio de Barcelona-Catalunya 2026
-
Grand Prix of Austria 2026
-
Grand Prix of Great Britain 2026
-
Grand Prix of Belgium 2026
-
Grand Prix of Hungary 2026
-
Dutch Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Italy 2026
-
Gran Premio de España 2026
-
Grand Prix of Azerbaijan 2026
-
Grand Prix of Singapore 2026
-
Grand Prix of the United States 2026
-
Gran Premio de la Ciudad de Mexico 2026
-
Grande Prêmio de São Paulo 2026
-
Las Vegas Grand Prix 2026
-
Qatar Grand Prix 2026
-
Grand Prix of Abu Dhabi 2026
Follow us on your favorite social media channel
Editorial & corporate information
Avenue HQ
10–12 East Parade
Leeds
LS1 2BH
United Kingdom Regional correspondence
View contact page
Realtimes Network
- Authors
- Privacy and Terms
- RSS
- Contact
- Advertise
- Android
- iOS
- Publishing principles
- Corrections policy
- Ownership & funding
- F1 Tickets
- Privacy
Copyright (©) 2017 - 2026 GPFans.com
Realtimes Network












