Thursday, 12 july 2018, 08:33 , by Matthew Scott
Formula 1 motorsport director Ross Brawn says Liberty Media remains committed to securing Silverstone's future on the schedule for many years to come. The British Grand Prix's future in F1 is unclear, with Silverstone's deal with the sport's organisers expiring next year.
Citing the rising costs of hosting F1 under terms agreed with Bernie Ecclestone, Silverstone's owners the British Racing Drivers' Club activated a break clause in their contract last year.
There remains concern that the race could go the way of the French Grand Prix, which spent a year off the calendar before returning this year, or the German Grand Prix, which has an uncertain future beyond next week's race at Hockenheim.
But Brawn says F1's American owners remain firmly determined to keep Silverstone in the sport.
He said on F1's official website: "The on-track action at Silverstone was really exciting and it was clearly appreciated by a massive crowd of 340,000 that packed the grandstands and general areas from Thursday to Sunday, in unusually hot and sunny weather.
"Silverstone is a special event on the calendar and we want to do all we can to ensure it stays on the schedule for a long time.
"We are working hard with the BRDC to try to reach an agreement that is satisfactory for both parties and we're doing it methodically, sensibly and without fanfare. It's always better to work out this kind of arrangement behind closed doors and away from sensational headlines.
"There's still plenty of time to work things out, without having to rush or to succumb to media pressure.
"The British Grand Prix is one of the four races that featured in the first year of the world championship back in 1950 and we want it to stay there for the long term, as this is one of the true homes of motorsport.
"When there will be something to announce, we will be the first to do so and the fans, the sport's most important asset, will be the first to know."