Ferrari claim that a decision is yet to be made on Sebastian Vettel's partner for the 2019 season, amid reports that Kimi Raikkonen is set to put pen to paper on a two-year deal to race with the Scuderia into his forties.
Earlier in the year, it had looked like Raikkonen's Formula 1 career may be winding to a close as support swelled behind Charles Leclerc to step up from Sauber.
However, the sudden passing of former Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne has altered the team's plans, and his successor Louis C. Camilleri is understood to be keen on minimizing the upheaval at Maranello.
With Vettel and Raikkonen enjoying a harmonious partnership since 2015, and Ferrari challenging on all fronts with the duo at the wheel this year, many signs point to the Iceman continuing in his role.
"We have not taken a decision yet," Camilleri told media at the Italian Grand Prix - a traditional location of major Ferrari announcements.
"When we take that decision, and there is no timeframe, you will be the second to know.
"I know Kimi very well, he is a dear friend and has been for a long time.
"As for the decision-making process, it is a team decision.
"Maurizio, who is team principal, will ultimately take the decision but he and I will discuss it, and once we are ready we will take it."
Raikkonen has maintained that he retains the passion for racing, despite not winning a grand prix since the 2013 season-opener, when he was a Lotus driver.
"I enjoy the racing; I don't think that's a secret," he said at Thursday's press conference.
"The rest not, but that's part of the job. Do I want to race? Yes, otherwise I wouldn't be here today.
"I don't see that's suddenly going to disappear. Who knows, it might be, but I doubt it. Like I said, I don't know, so we'll see what happens."