Renault open to Alonso return

Monday, 09 july 2018, 05:47 , by Matthew Scott

Renault have not ruled out a move for Fernando Alonso, but team boss Cyril Abiteboul says they are only interested in signing the two-time world champion to a long-term deal. McLaren's continued struggles in Formula 1 have led to suggestions that their prized asset could leave at the end of the year.

Although McLaren CEO Zak Brown is keen to indulge Alonso's bid for the 'Triple Crown' - facilitating his appearance at the Indianpolis 500 last year and allowing him to race in the World Endurance Championship - Renault have made clear that their priorities remain success in F1.

Alonso won both of his world titles with Renault in 2005 and 2006, but has now gone over five years without a grand prix victory owing to McLaren's chaotic slump.

Although Renault remain happy with Carlos Sainz Jr and Nico Hulkenberg as a driver pairing, Sainz remains on loan from Red Bull and the German has never scored a podium in his career, making Alonso a tempting possibility.

Abiteboul is quoted by Marca: "I don't want to encourage that rumour. I think Fernando first has to decide what he wants to do for himself, which is whether to continue driving in F1 or not.

"We have a lot of respect for Fernando, but we are more interested in drivers who want to be with us in the long term.

"We could still reach an agreement with Alonso, but doing it for a year would not make sense."

Renault will lose Red Bull as a customer in 2019 when they switch to Honda power units, meaning the underperforming McLaren squad will be their only reference point, but Abiteboul remains confident that the works team can continue to progress.

"We are not in a hurry and we also have to see what the side effects are of the decision [by Red Bull] on the engine," Abiteboul added.

"But we are improving and I think that is clear for everyone, for the press, for the fans and especially for the drivers.

"We have seen interest from several drivers who want to be with us, so I wouldn't say it's quiet, because we have to continue working with the ones we have, who in general work well and we would like to keep them.

"But I am calm in the sense that, if we do what we have to do, which is to have a good car and progress as a team, we will have a numbers of racers who want to come to us."

Related news

Comments (26)

  • Leaston Subramany
    Think he needs to stick it out with one team to be successful. If he stayed at Ferrari, he definitely would be world champion last year and this year
  • Mike Sirochman
    McLaren said they’re years from being competitive years after they said we’re years from being competitive.
  • Shashaoka Modisakeng
    He is already racing with a Renault power unit and doing little with it
  • Jody Harrison
    Why would he do that, knowing how shitty Renault has been these past few seasons.
  • Luke Fidler
    No. Stop tooling around in junkers. Go to IndyCar, IMSA, etc.. and be a winner.
  • Jose Antonio Perez
    Better stay at Mclaren or Renault with Flavio Briattore
  • Marc Walpole
    Someone PLEASE just give the man a car he can win in!
  • André Dias
    Better then Mclaren at this time..
  • Gabriel Auger
    Gaetan Auger Ca pourrait être vraiment nice !!!!
  • Jade Page
    Alonso to Renault works team? x
  • Aidan Millward
    And watch that team get worse
  • Rafa Rodríguez Martínez
    it would be great, but please, blue!!!
  • Philip Wilkinson
    Greg Wilkinson
  • Greg Wilkinson
    Hummmmm definitely an option
  • Mishka Juggath
    Sunesh Ramsunder
  • Tony Beaumont
    Max Sinclair
  • Rick Hunter
    Sin biratore lo dudo.
  • Nicola Clelland
    Brenden Halloren xxx
  • James Mccarthy
    Caolan Smith HES GOING HOME!
  • Jody Harrison
    Kick Renault out of F1

Write a comment